In summer or winter, flawless skin remains a healthy skin goal for many people. If you have sun damage, age spots, dark spots, or hyperpigmentation, the fight to achieve a fairer skin tone might seem like a dream. While chemical products such as pills or bleaching creams might seem like the answer, these can cause side effects. There are effective ways to inhibit melanin production naturally for lighter skin tones.
Everyone has some level of melanin, the pigment that colors your skin, eyes, and hair. Some people produce more melanin than others. People also produce different types of melanin depending on their genetics. These melanin types and levels help determine your skin’s color and tone. Since your body produces melanocytes cells to create skin pigmentation, natural foods and products target melanin production on a cellular level.
While social pressure can place excessive emphasis on fair skin, all skin types are normal and beautiful. If your goal is to inhibit the melanin process for a lighter or more even skin tone, check out this guide on the top ways to inhibit melanin production naturally.
How to Inhibit Melanin Naturally
Most foods or products that reduce melanin production do it by suppressing the tyrosinase enzyme that produces melanin. Keep in mind that inhibiting melanin production is possible but temporary. For instance, genetics play a key role in how much melanin your skin produces. While inhibiting melanin synthesis can help lighten skin tones, it won’t change dark skin to fair.
Avoid UV Rays
Going outside is healthy and promotes wellbeing. Direct and prolonged sun exposure also increases melanin production. When your skin is exposed to the sun, it causes cellular DNA damage that causes your skin to react. This defense mechanism kicks melanin production into high gear, producing darkening or tanning to help protect your DNA.
One of the main ways to prevent natural melanin naturally is to reduce UV light exposure. You can do this by limiting the time in the sun between 10 am and 4 pm. You can also wear clothing that covers your arms and legs and torso.
While dermatologists recommend using sunscreen to protect against UV rays, this is not the most natural way to inhibit melanin production. The most natural sunscreens contain zinc oxide. Although zinc oxide is a mineral, it is refined and processed in the final sunscreen product.
What Foods Reduce Melanin Naturally?
The best way to control extra melanin production is with a natural diet that contains high amounts of retinoids and Vitamin C. Oranges contain high doses of Vitamin C. Red and green grapes also contain resveratrol that inhibits hormones that stimulate myelocytes cells to produce melanin. Red grapes contain the highest levels of resveratrol. You can eat these raw fruits and vegetables every day to suppress melanin overproduction.
Best Fruits to Control Melanin Levels
- Black currents
Best Vegetables to Control Melanin Levels
- Collard greens
- Sweet potatoes
Best Drinks to Control Melanin Levels
- Green tea increases glutathione levels that inhibit melanin production. Green tea also contains a compound called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) that suppresses melanin synthesis.
- Lemon water
- Saffron tea
What Vitamins Reduce Melanin Naturally?
1). Vitamin C is an antioxidant powerhouse. It boosts collagen production that supports a youthful facial structure while inhibiting melanin production. Taking a Vitamin C supplement is one of the best ways to help create clear skin.
2). Vitamin A plays a crucial role in regulating melanin. Vitamin A normalizes tyrosinase, an enzyme, that controls melanin and pigmentation. The Mayo Clinic advises caution with Vitamin A supplement use since taking more than 10,000 mcg per day can cause Vitamin A toxicity and liver damage.
3). Vitamin E does not actually inhibit melanin production, but it does reduce hyperpigmentation caused by too much melanin production. While you are working on creating lower melanin levels, you can take Vitamin E to reduce the results from excess melanin.
4). Vitamin B12 has an important part in melanin production. Vitamin B12 is an essential nutrient that helps prevent or heal hyperpigmentation by controlling melanin production caused by sun damage or fluctuating hormones
5). Milk Thistle is another great way to reduce melanin naturally. This plant draws toxins out from the liver and stimulates glutathione levels that help lighten skin.
6). Alpha Lipoic Acid is an organosulfur compound that acts like an antioxidant in your body. It boosts and sustains glutathione levels that inhibit melanin production.
What Products Reduce Melanin Naturally?
Although topical products are less likely to reduce melanin production your body than dietary changes, there are products that can reduce excess melanin’s appearance in the skin.
- Vitamin C applied topically has a reputation for fighting free radical damage to your skin cells. It may also help with hyperpigmentation and to lighten skin tone.
- Lemon juice is known to lighten skin tone through a natural bleaching process.
- Vitamin E can help even tone and give skin a healthy glow.
- You can also give Aloe Vera gel a try. Aloe Vera is not only soothing to the skin, but it may help reduce melanin if you experience sun exposure. Aloe Vera gel is naturally derived from a plant that contains a compound called aloesin. Research has found that aloesin suppresses tyrosinase enzymes that produce melanin.
- An oatmeal mask helps lighten and soften skin tone.
- Raw milk and turmeric masks can inhibit melanin production. According to legend, the First Century B. C. E. Egyptian Queen Cleopatra bathed in donkey’s milk to achieve flawless skin. The curcumin element in Turmeric is an active bioactive compound that works to inhibit melanin production in darkened, tanned, or unevenly pigmented skin.
- A honey mask contains antimicrobial and exfoliant elements. While it doesn’t inhibit melanin, it can help correct skin tone.
- Yogurt and graham flour masks help lighten melanin’s effects.
- Tomato face mask contains lycopene. Lycopene helps protect from the sun and reduces melanin production. It is important to know that wearing tomato paste will not protect against sun exposure. Eating tomatoes can offer some protection.
- Egg face mask puts Vitamin A back into your body.
- Potato mask contains antioxidants and enzymes to reduce melanin’s effects.
- Rose Water toner can be purchased on Amazon from Baja Basics, or Simplified Skin.
Genetics plays the most important role in determining how much melanin your skin produces. There are natural ways to reduce high levels of melanin through diet or reducing sun exposure. The less sun exposure that you receive, the less it will trigger your body to pump out melanin. The healthiest way to lower melanin production is by eating fresh fruits and vegetables that contain high amounts of Vitamin C.
While green tea, aloe vera, and turmeric, all help control melanin production, drinking goat’s milk and adding cheese and eggs to your diet can also help lighten skin. Not only will these foods help control melanin production levels, but they will also give your body the essential nutrients that it needs to promote healthy and glowing skin.
All skin types are natural and beautiful and with the right nutrients, it is possible to inhibit melanin production to achieve fairer and more flawless skin that is perfect for your body.